Championship roundup: Aleksandar Mitrovic hits double in Fulham victory | Championship

Aleksandar Mitrovic continued his remarkable scoring form by hitting both goals as Championship leaders Fulham beat west London rivals QPR 2-0.

The Serbia striker’s first-half opener put Fulham in control at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium, and his 78th-minute penalty sealed the victory, taking his tally to 37 league goals this season. The hosts’ miserable afternoon ended with manager Mark Warburton being shown a yellow card and his assistant John Eustace a red, seemingly for dissent. Rangers have lost their past three matches and five of the last six.

The result maintained Fulham’s eight-point advantage at the top of the table, with second-placed Bournemouth holding on for a 3-2 win at home to Bristol City. The visitors took an early lead when Matty James’ corner was headed in by defender Rob Atkinson, but Bournemouth levelled five minutes before the break when Dominic Solanke scored his 24th league goal of the season.

Lewis Cook then put the Cherries in front seven minutes into the second half with a stunning 25-yard strike and Siriki Dembele sealed the points nine minutes from time with a fine solo effort. Andreas Weimann scored a consolation for the Robins in stoppage time.

Swansea made South Wales derby history by thrashing Cardiff 4-0 to secure the first league double in 110 years of the fixture. Two goals from Michael Obafemi and efforts from Ben Cabango and Hannes Wolf rewarded Swansea’s supremacy in a one-sided contest. It was a particularly sweet moment for the Wales defender Cabango, who was born and raised just a few miles away from the Cardiff City Stadium.

Swansea, who won the reverse fixture in October 3-0 – a result which paved the way for Mick McCarthy’s departure and the appointment of Steve Morison – equalled their biggest win in the fixture since a 5-1 victory in December 1949.

Swansea’s players celebrate with their fans after the game.
Swansea’s players celebrate with their fans after the game. Photograph: James Marsh/Rex/Shutterstock

Steve Cooper praised Brennan Johnson’s attitude after the Wales midfielder’s double helped Nottingham Forest to a fine 4-1 win over Blackpool at Bloomfield Road. Johnson’s goals – the second of which came after a dreadful goalkeeping error from Dan Grimshaw – and efforts from Philip Zinckernagel and Sam Surridge secured the points.

“I think when Brennan’s come back from international duty in recent times, he’s taken a little bit to get going,” said Cooper. “So I felt it was interesting to see how he did, and he was excellent – his whole approach to playing for the team.”

The result brought Blackpool’s four-game unbeaten run to an end, but manager Neil Critchley insisted the scoreline did not reflect the game. “We weren’t second best – only in moments. Every time they got into our penalty area, they scored – we just didn’t defend those moments well enough, and they had a bit of luck.”

Quick Guide

League One roundup


Wigan missed the chance to go top after Jon Dadi Bodvarsson snatched a late point in a bad-tempered Lancashire derby against Bolton.

James McClean’s fortunate cross-shot put the Latics in front but McClean was lucky to stay on the pitch after a bad challenge on Dapo Afolayan late in the first half.

Wigan were left to rue their missed chances in the first half as Bodvarsson came off the bench to head home Will Aimson’s cross in the 83rd minute and secure a 1-1 draw.

It leaves Leam Richardson’s men looking over their shoulders after goals from Mo Eisa and Scott Twine saw third-placed MK Dons narrow the deficit to a single point with a 2-0 win over Shrewsbury.

Fourth-placed Plymouth got their promotion hopes back on track as Joe Edwards’ volley sealed a hard-fought 1-0 win over fifth-placed Oxford.

Lee Gregory struck deep into stoppage time to snatch a 2-1 win for Sheffield Wednesday over AFC Wimbledon and ensure Mark Bowen’s first game as Dons boss ended in heartbreak.

Sunderland also left it late to boost their play-off hopes as Nathan Broadhead scored four minutes into added time to grab a 1-0 win over struggling Gillingham.

Wycombe did enough to see off second-from-bottom Doncaster, Garath McCleary heading home from an Anis Mehmeti cross before Mehmeti got on the scoresheet to wrap up a 2-0 win.

Free-falling Fleetwood finally claimed their first win in 14 attempts as they beat bottom club Crewe 3-1.

Goals from Arthur Gnahoua, Adam Phillips and Cole Stockton gave Morecambe a 3-0 win over Burton, who had Conor Shaughnessy sent off two minutes before half-time.

Ipswich crashed to their first defeat in 12 games as Dominic Thompson’s 56th-minute own goal proved enough for Mark Bonner’s Cambridge to take all the points in a 1-0 win.

William Boyle grabbed a stoppage-time leveller for Cheltenham in an 4-4 draw with Accrington.

Trailing to Alfie May’s 24th goal of the season, Stanley struck back to lead through two goals from Tommy Leigh and Sean McConville.

Leigh extended Stanley’s lead and, after Boyle scored his first of the day with a 66th-minute header to make it 3-2, an Ellis Chapman own goal made it 4-2 to the hosts with three minutes to play.

Callum Wright pulled one back for Cheltenham in the last minute, then Accrington’s Ross Sykes was sent off before Boyle grabbed a point deep into stoppage time.

Lincoln won 2-1 at Charlton in a game that saw both finish with 10 men.

Thank you for your feedback.

Middlesbrough moved up to fifth with a convincing 4-0 win at bottom side Peterborough. Marcus Tavernier’s first-time strike into the top corner opened the scoring and Folarin Balogun doubled Boro’s lead early in the second half. Josh Coburn made it three eight minutes from time and Duncan Watmore wrapped up the win at the death with an emphatic finish.

Luton snatched a point in an entertaining 2-2 draw at home to Millwall. Tom Bradshaw put the Lions in front after 25 minutes with a half-volley from a Jed Wallace pass, but Luton levelled eight minutes later when Elijah Adebayo curled home via a post. Benik Afobe thought he had won it for Millwall, but Jake Cooper turned a wicked Robert Snodgrass free-kick past his own goalkeeper to earn a share of the spoils.

Quick Guide

League Two roundup


Mansfield moved into the play-offs and dented Northampton’s automatic promotion hopes with a 1-0 win.

Oli Hawkins scored the only goal for Nigel Clough’s side, who made it four games without defeat to move sixth.

Leaders Forest Green left it late to see off bottom side Scunthorpe, with Dan Sweeney’s 75th-minute effort the difference between the two sides.

Meanwhile Exeter stretched their unbeaten run to seven games as a battling 1-0 victory over fellow promotion-hopefuls Newport helped them keep the pressure on Rovers above them.

Timothee Dieng’s 72nd-minute goal was enough to secure the Grecians all three points.

Port Vale came from behind to win 2-1 at relegation-threatened Barrow to jump up to third. Josh Kay put Barrow ahead after 24 minutes, but promotion-chasing Vale hit back after 59 minutes through Jamie Proctor. Such is the tight nature of the promotion race, Vale were outside the top seven until Aaron Martin’s 89th-minute winner.

Bristol Rovers are up to fifth after coming from behind to beat Bradford 2-1 and make it six wins in seven games. Mark Hughes’ side went ahead through Dion Pereira just after half-time but Rovers were quickly level as Sam Finley struck. Connor Taylor scored after 75 minutes to turn things around.

Tranmere paid the price for poor discipline as they were held 2-2 by Carlisle after finishing the game with nine men. Rovers were ahead after 15 minutes through Kane Hemmings but the hosts were dealt a blow when Calum MacDonald was sent off five minutes before the break.Omari Patrick equalised for Carlisle after 55 minutes but the 10 men hit back through Elliot Nevitt’s 76th-minute strike. Rovers had a second red card in added time as Kieron Morris was dismissed and Tobi Sho-Silva equalised at the death.

Salford won 2-0 at Hartlepool to boost their play-off hopes.

Oldham came out on top with a 1-0 victory in their relegation battle with Stevenage. Jamie Hopcutt scored the only goal of the game after 16 minutes to move Oldham three points clear of danger.

Colchester came from behind to win 2-1 at Harrogate. Jack Muldoon’s 11th goal of the season put Harrogate ahead before Freddie Sears levelled midway through the first half with his 50th goal for the club and Noah Chilvers netted the winner on the stroke of half-time.

Leyton Orient won 2-0 at Walsall thanks to first-half goals from Harry Smith and Otis Khan, while Rochdale and Swindon played out a goalless draw.

Thank you for your feedback.

Viktor Gyokeres equalised for Coventry in the ninth minute of stoppage time as they held Blackburn to a 2-2 draw. Harry Pickering’s own goal was cancelled out by Bradley Dack’s first goal since March 2021. Scott Wharton made it 2-1 eight minutes from time, but late drama saw Gyokeres claim a point for the home side.

Derby moved within six points of Reading with a 1-0 win against Preston. North End were reduced to 10 men after 32 minutes when Liam Lindsay was shown a straight red card for a last-man challenge on Tom Lawrence. Derby then had Max Bird dismissed early in the second half for a wild challenge on Ben Whiteman but snatched victory with an 81st-minute strike from Ravel Morrison.

The Fiver: sign up and get our daily football email.

Barnsley and Reading played out a 1-1 draw. Carlton Morris fired the Reds in front from Amine Bassi’s pass after five minutes. Barnsley rode their luck, but Josh Laurent levelled after 82 minutes with a close-range finish. John Egan’s own goal was enough for Stoke to claim a 1-0 win against Sheffield United.

Source link