Conor Gallagher is NOT good enough to get into Chelsea’s starting XI, says ex-Blues defender Glen Johnson – who insists the Crystal Palace midfielder should go out on loan again next season instead of fighting for a place in Thomas Tuchel’s team
- Chelsea’s Conor Gallagher has had a terrific season out on loan at Crystal Palace
- The midfielder also starred in the Premier League for West Brom in 2020-21
- Yet Glen Johnson believes the 22-year-old should go out on loan again
- Johnson says Gallagher still wouldn’t get into Chelsea’s team despite his displays
Glen Johnson believes Conor Gallagher is still not good enough to get into Chelsea’s starting XI despite his impressive performances out on loan this season.
The 22-year-old has stood out while at Crystal Palace, scoring eight Premier League goals and catching the eye with his creativity and terrific work-rate high up the pitch.
This season’s plaudits come after a stint out on loan at West Brom in 2020-21 but despite clamours for parent club Chelsea to keep Gallagher in the first-team squad next season, ex-Blues defender Johnson insists the midfielder should head out on loan once again.
Glen Johnson believes Conor Gallagher is not good enough to get into Chelsea’s starting XI
Ex-Blues defender Johnson insists the midfielder should head out on loan once again
‘Right now, I’m not sure if Connor Gallagher would get in Chelsea’s team,’ Johnson said, in association with Lord Ping. ‘As he’s been doing so well out on loan to Palace, if I was Chelsea, I’d be keen to give him another year on loan.
‘That would give him another year to develop further, enjoy the games, learn the trade and then start smashing the first team door down the season after, but a lot can change in football.
‘I like Gallagher a lot, but if he goes back to Chelsea, I don’t think he’ll play and you don’t want to stall the progress that he’s already made.’
Gallagher, who has also previously been sent out on loan at Charlton and Swansea, made his England debut against San Marino back in November and also played twice during the international break in March.
It remains to be seen if Gallagher will be in Thomas Tuchel’s plans at Chelsea next season
Gallagher’s fine form for Palace, alongside his popularity with the Selhurst Park faithful, saw him claim the club’s Player of the Year award at BOXPARK Croydon on Tuesday and talk of his future was the elephant in the room.
Palace chairman Steve Parish said: ‘Conor’s future and that decision lies not with us but with him and Chelsea. They’re the people that have to decide. Once they decide what their choice is, they know where we are and what we want.
‘We’re not going to pretend any different but we’ve got to respect them as a football club because he’s their player.
‘At the end of the season he goes back to Chelsea and they’ll make their decision. Based on that, we’ll be there and if everybody thinks it’s the right thing for him to come back, then we would love it. If it doesn’t work out, we wish him all the best as well.’