BREAKING NEWS: Cristiano Ronaldo misses Manchester United training for a THIRD straight day, with club left in the dark over whether he will travel on pre-season tour to Asia and Australia
- Cristiano Ronaldo has not turned up to Manchester United training this week
- He was due back on Monday but has cited ‘family reasons’ for his absence
- Ronaldo told United chiefs on Saturday that he wants to leave this summer
- The club are unsure whether Ronaldo will fly on their pre-season tour on Friday
Cristiano Ronaldo has not turned up at Manchester United’s pre-season training for a third straight day, leaving the club in the dark as to whether he will travel will the squad on their pre-season tour of Asia and Australia.
Ronaldo cited family reasons for his absence on Monday and Tuesday, after telling the club on Saturday that he wishes to leave this summer, and he again refused to train on Wednesday.
Erik ten Hag is preparing his squad to head on their pre-season tour on Friday, with the first game set to take place in Bangkok against Liverpool on July 12, but chiefs do not yet know whether Ronaldo will board the plane with his team-mates.
Cristiano Ronaldo has missed three straight days of pre-season training at Manchester United
The rest of the squad have been back at Carrington this week, but without their star forward
UNITED’S PRE-SEASON SCHEDULE
July 12 vs Liverpool (Bangkok)
July 15 vs Melbourne Victory (Melbourne)
July 19 vs Crystal Palace (Melbourne)
July 23 vs Aston Villa (Perth)
July 30 vs Atletico Madrid (Oslo)
Chelsea, Bayern Munich and Napoli are all on red alert and eyeing a move for the unsettled superstar, with the former’s new owner Todd Boehly having already met with agent Jorge Mendes to discuss a potential transfer.
Mendes has also been talking to clubs such as Bayern and Serie A giants Napoli over recent weeks to test whether there is a market for his client but no agreement is in place as it stands.
United’s players turned up for training on Wednesday but again Ronaldo was nowhere to be seen, having not returned to Carrington after the summer break.
Ronaldo has told the Red Devils that he wishes to leave this summer should they receive a suitable offer amid his concerns that United are not moving forward quickly enough.
As Sportsmail further explained, the 37-year-old still has an affinity for the club but at this stage of his career, he wants to be playing in the Champions League and does not see that happening at Old Trafford.
Ronaldo will speak with new boss Erik ten Hag when he returns to Manchester United training
Ten Hag (centre) had planned for Ronaldo to be part of his squad next season before this news
United have no wish to sell Ronaldo and have yet to receive an enquiry. They have underlined that the striker remains under contract and hope that he sees that out.
Despite the player’s agent Jorge Mendes meeting different clubs over recent weeks there is also a limited market for a player on around £480,000 a week.
Ten Hag has been talking to all United players as he welcomes them back to training and will be keen to sit down with Ronaldo to understand his frustration.
The Dutch coach had planned for the Portuguese superstar, last season’s top scorer with 24 goals, to be part of his strikeforce for the new campaign and United’s transfer strategy has reflected that.
Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes met with Chelsea’s new owner Todd Boehly last month