Liverpool are comparing stories with Real Madrid about fans’ horrendous experiences at the Champions League final after contacting Florentino Perez… as Reds demand an ‘open investigation’ amid false claims being promoted by French government
- Liverpool’s 1-0 Champions League final defeat by Real Madrid in Paris last month was overshadowed by multiple issues their fans suffered
- Video footage has emerged of fans being crushed and mugged by local youths
- French interior minister Gerald Darmanin continues to say Liverpool fans were responsible for the disorder
Liverpool are enraged by the constant barrage of false claims being promoted by the French government and have vowed to prove how badly treated their fans were at the Champions League final.
Billy Hogan, Liverpool’s chief executive, has been in contact with Florentino Perez, his counterpart at Real Madrid, to compare stories of what happened to supporters outside the Stade de France before and after Saturday’s game.
Video footage has emerged of fans being crushed and mugged by local youths, with eye-witness accounts saying the gangs numbered around 1,000. Yet still French interior minister Gerald Darmanin continues to say Liverpool fans were responsible for the disorder that erupted.
Billy Hogan (left) has hit out at Gerald Darmanin for promoting fake claims about Liverpool fans
Amelie Oudea-Castera and Darmanin again blamed Liverpool fans for the chaos at the Champions League final
French police fired tear gas and pepper spray at Liverpool supporters outside the stadium
They said 40,000 fake tickets were in circulation, although official figures show only 2,589 were scanned
Mayhem outside the Stade de France saw fans with tickets having to wait in huge queues
French President Emmanuel Macron is said to be privately furious with Darmanin’s response
An incredulous Hogan said: ‘As I said earlier in the week, is just one of disbelief frankly. Folks are probably aware that the senate committee meeting yesterday was three hours, so there’s still quite a bit for us to unpack in all of it.
‘But, overall, given the body of evidence through video, photographs, personal experiences – and this is not just from Liverpool fans but from all fans that attended the match; media; English politicians; folks who travelled from literally all corners of the world to be at this match – which people have seen now across social media and other media channels. It’s just utter disbelief.
On the claims that there were huge numbers of ticketless fans, Hogan added: ‘In regard to the accusations again that the numbers – 30 to 40 thousand fans – turning up at the stadium, this is the reason why we just keep asking for an open and transparent investigation into the details.
‘I said this earlier in the week, people are talking about details which haven’t been shared.
‘We haven’t had the opportunity to have that open investigation. And I just don’t think it’s appropriate for people to be making accusations until we’ve got all the facts.’
Hogan says they are in ‘disbelief and he wants an ‘open and transparent investigation’