Nick Kyrgios posts pictures of his knee brace after successful surgery on the injury that ruined his quest to win the Australian Open
Nick Kyrgios was pictured wearing a knee brace after undergoing surgery to address the injury that ruled him out of the Australian Open.
The 27-year-old went under the knife on Monday in Canberra and revealed on social media the procedure had been a success.
‘Surgery complete. I’ll be doing everything I can do get back to my best,’ he wrote on Instagram.
Nick Kyrgios posted a picture of himself wearing a knee brace after his surgery
A day later, he shared a photo on Instagram of himself walking on crutches with his left knee in a brace and appeared to have left the hospital.
Kyrgios will remain in Canberra with his family as he recovers over the next few weeks before making a planned comeback to the ATP tour in early March, according to his manager Daniel Horsfall.
‘The surgery was a great success. We couldn’t have been more pleased with the outcome of it.
‘Now we will be pushing ahead for a speedy recovery and are aiming to see everyone at Indian Wells,’ Horsfall told The Age.
The 27-year-old shared an update on social media after he underwent surgery on Monday
The Aussie star sensationally withdrew from the tournament last week because of a knee injury, just a day before he was due to play his first-round match against Roman Safiullin.
During an emotional press conference at Melbourne Park, Kyrgios’ physiotherapist Will Maher explained a routine MRI that was done after Kyrgios suffered discomfort in his knee revealed that he has a tear in his lateral meniscus and a cyst.
‘There’s a parameniscal cyst growing in his left meniscus, which is the result of a small tear in his lateral meniscus,’ he said.
‘Even at that stage it was still worth persevering to see if we could do anything to get him back on court.
Kyrgios was forced to withdraw from the Australian Open before the tournament started
The Aussie firebrand is targeting a quick return and hopes to be back on the court in March
‘To Nick’s credit, he did try everything, to the point even last week he was having a procedure called a fenestration and drainage where they use a syringe to try and drain the cyst, which Nick has some pretty gruesome photos of.’
On Monday, the Aussie firebrand joked he ‘feels good’ about his tennis after watching Novak Djokovic dismantle Alex De Minaur in straight sets.
The nine-time Australian Open winner marched into the quarter-finals at Melbourne Park after thrashing de Minaur 6-2 6-1 6-2 at Rod Laver Arena, showing absolutely no sign of being slowed down by his hamstring injury.
‘Watching Novak tonight makes me feel good about my tennis in general. How have I beaten this guy,’ Kyrgios tweeted.